Never underestimate the power of one wheel drive!


Many of the images I add to this blog are clickable for a better resolution. Give it a go!

Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Saved by Sports Beans!

Yesterday I had a meeting to attend at Golden Lane in the City of London. Being the sturdy type that I am, I decided to cycle in. I rode into work yesterday morning (10 1/4 miles) and did a couple of hours work. During this first ride I suspected I would have resistance on the way to London as the wind was in my face. Sure enough, when I left the office at 11:00 a.m. the wind was blowing from London. Anyhoo, I had a nice ride for a couple of hours, along the A4 past Heathrow, into London, leaving the A4 at Hammersmith, heading to Kensington Gardens/ Hyde Park where I cut through to the Bayswater Road and Marylebone Road before heading into the City arriving at 1:00 p.m. on the dot.
The meeting lasted a couple of hours and, after 20 minutes of post meeting chat and catching up with folk, I left to reverse the route home.
True to form and conforming to the well known fact that the wind is always from the direction of a cyclists destination, the wind had changed to a South Westerly, in my face again. Not a problem for I am a hardy cyclist!
My preparation for the days riding had included an early start to my lunch before leaving the office, a bottle of energy drink consumed on the way into London, a cup of tea, a can of full fat Coke, a Snickers and the rest of my lunch at the meeting venue and a bottle of energy drink to consume on the return ride.
The return was fairly uneventful (apart from a couple of folk in cages suggesting I get off their road and onto the cycle path- not an option due to the glass and crap and all the side roads I would have had to negotiate) until I got to the stretch of A4 between Langley and Slough. At this point, with about 13 miles to go until home, I suffered the scourge of all cyclists, a bad case of 'The Bonk'. My legs ran out of go completely. I think it was the fact that I had been riding into wind for the whole day, that and because I had my commuting luggage on the bike as well. In the space of about 400 yards I descended from pootling along at about 15mph average to struggling to maintain 10mph. Concentration was going and I was starting to wobble a bit too much for my liking. I then had a flash of inspiration. I remembered that I had a small bag of Sports Beans in my jersey pocket. These are jelly beans with an extra carb kick. I stopped at the side of the road, ripped open the packet and nommed the Sports Beans in one go. 5 minutes later I felt my energy returning and my concentration level improving. The energy boost got me the last 13 miles home. I don't know what I would have done without them- probably curled up in a gibbering ball of pitiful humanity and got on the phone to SWMBO to beg for rescue but, thanks to Sports Beans, I made it home. A mileage tally for the day of 77.79 miles- all of it into wind.
Lets hear it for Sports Beans !!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment